A savory one-pot dish that combines succulent chicken with savory vegetables. The chicken and vegetables are simply seasoned with rosemary, thyme, oregano and balsamic vinegar which makes for an easy meal with little clean up. As an additional benefit, any leftovers can be used the following day on top of a salad or in a sandwich with spinach and tomato.
|Whole chicken (giblets removed)||2-3 lbs||0.9-1.3 kg|
|Red onion, thinly sliced||1 each||1 each|
|Garlic, sliced into quarters||2 cloves||2 cloves|
|Eggplant, ½ inch slices, halved||1 small||1 small|
|Zucchini, ½ inch slices||2 each||2 each|
|Cherry tomatoes||½ cup||125 mL|
|Red bell pepper, ½ inch slices||2 each||2 each|
|Mushrooms, sliced||1 cup||250 mL|
|Rosemary, fresh||1 sprig||1 sprig|
|Thyme, fresh||1 sprig||1 sprig|
|Dried oregano||1 tsp||5 mL|
|Balsamic vinegar||¼ cup||60 mL|
|Olive oil||¼ cup||60 mL|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Finely chop the rosemary and thyme and add the dried oregano.
- Rub the chicken with the herb blend and reserve extras.
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, peppers and mushrooms in a large roasting pan.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir until all vegetables are evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and pierce 8 holes into the body of the chicken.
- Insert the cloves of garlic into the hole.
- Place into the oven for 50-60 minutes.
Makes 4 servings ( 629 g / serving ). 1 serving = 4 oz chicken and 2 cups vegetables